We Are Hiring!
Hello! The Athena Center for Leadership at Barnard is hiring!
Athena is searching for a new Senior Programs Assistant! We’re seeking someone mission-driven, results-driven, and community-oriented, with a fastidious attention to detail.
The Senior Programs Assistant provides crucial administrative and operational support to the Director of the Athena Center for Leadership and other Athena Center staff.
They will manage schedules and calendars, being proactive and prioritizing on behalf of the Director and other senior staff. They will make decisions and advise others based on knowledge of the Director’s preferences. They will book travel, schedule meetings, keep track of expenses, organize meetings and events, support key relationships, prepare meeting briefs, and generally ensure that our Director has what she needs to advance our mission and serve internal and external stakeholders.
The Senior Programs Assistant is a core member of Athena’s Operations Team. The Senior Programs Assistant will actively participate in office life, help fellow team members, and collaborate across functions to ensure successful delivery of Athena’s programs.
The Senior Programs Assistant also manages logistics and planning for the Director’s special initiatives and projects - notably those events that serve the larger Barnard community (not exclusively students), including Athena’s Leadership Development portfolio, SPARK series, and more.
This is a full time, 35-hour/week position, that requires in-office presence on the Barnard campus. This is a grade 10 position with an hourly rate of $34.45.
The Senior Programs Assistant must be innovative and appreciate working in a small, entrepreneurial setting that is mission-driven, results-driven, and community-oriented. The ideal candidate will be able to use sound judgment in a range of scenarios, have strong writing and verbal communication skills, administrative and organizational abilities, and be able to prioritize their tasks independently and know when to ask for support. The Senior Programs Assistant must be able to own and work independently on projects and operate under pressure at times to handle a wide range of activities and confidential topics with discretion. Key components of success in this role are: attention to detail and proactivity.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide sophisticated calendar management for Athena’s Director. Prioritize inquiries and requests while troubleshooting conflicts; make judgments and recommendations to ensure smooth day-to-day engagements.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks, including but not limited to: transcribing and composing correspondence; collecting and preparing information for meetings with staff and outside parties; screening incoming mail and phone calls; maintaining contact lists and executive files; completing expense reports in a timely manner.
- Handle Center billing and financial needs including contract with multiple consultants, invoicing, and purchase orders.
- Work independently and as part of a team on various projects. Act as a project manager for special projects at the request of the Director, which may include planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, and organizing events, notably quarterly meetings of Athena’s Leadership Council.
- Ensure the Athena Center website is up to date and oversee Athena’s Instagram account.
- Act as the host of the Athena Center office space - ensuring the office is neat and organized. Assist in ordering supplies for the Center, calling in repairs, and other duties as assigned to maintain the physical space.
- Perform other duties and work on other projects as assigned. This includes working to support the Director, and other staff as appropriate and required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 3 - 5 years of providing administrative support to senior executives.
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including Board members, external partners, donors, and staff members at all levels.
- Entrepreneurial style with an enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and demonstrate the highest level of customer service and response to Athena’s stakeholders.
- Problem solving orientation and enthusiasm to design new solutions that proactively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions to problems.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- High comfort-level with new software and technology.
- Proven ability to collaborate work independently as well as with a team.
- Exceptional judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Natural curiosity and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to focus and work quickly, to handle multiple tasks and set priorities. Must be able to work calmly and with flexibility under pressure and with frequent interruptions
Creativity, resourcefulness, flexibility and motivation
Receptiveness to feedback
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF.
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.