Coding is the language of the future. Become literate with Athena Digital Design.
Our mission is to champion and inspire Barnard women on their journey into coding literacy through web development. Participants will begin by learning the fundamentals of web design so they can be competitive in the new economy.
The Athena Digital Design Agency (ADDA) is made up of three entities - Academy, Agency, and Student Advisory board.
Athena Digital Design Agency will be offering the following courses in Fall 2018
This class is perfect for students who would like to learn the basics of web development! Students will successfully complete several websites by the completion of this course. NO CODING EXPERIENCE or computer science background will be required for participation. Applications open only to Barnard students.
This class is for students to learn to develop their own interactive games and web applications. This class is recommended for students who have already taken the ADDA HTML/CSS course, or have equivalent coding experience. Python and other functional programming languages are not required, and will not be taught.
Applications Open: April 20, 2018
Regular deadline: May 26, 2018
Agency. Once a Barnard student has successfully finished the final project and graduated from our HTML/CSS course, they can apply to work for the Agency. Agency members can attend workshops which can help them develop more skills to meet clients' website need. They can then be matched with clients and get paid!
Student Advisory Board. Members of the Student Advisory Board take on leadership positions on the agency startup team in various capacities. If a Barnard student has already taken an ADDA course and is not graduating this year, they can apply to join the Student Advisory Board. Once the student has successfully become a student advisory board member, the student can join one (or more) of the 5 core teams: Finance, Marketing, Agency, Academy, Admissions, and Operations.
SAB Application: https://adda2.typeform.com/to/
Deadline for Fall 2018 SAB and Agency applications: May 26, 2018
ADDA Fall 2018 Class Schedule TBC
ADDA Spring 2018 Schedule
Class Orientation: January 25, Thursday, 730-830pm, Diana LL103
HTML/CSS Section A Class: Tuesdays from January 30th thru April 10th, 6:30-8:30pm, Diana 203: Instructor: Carey Tan
HTML/CSS Section B Class: Wednesdays from January 31st thru April 18th*, 6:30-8:30pm, Diana 203: Instructor Adam Driggers
ADDA Info Session|Graduation on Friday, April 20th from 4:30-6pm, Altschul Hall, 202 Lehman Auditorium
- Classes will not be held during Spring Break (3/13 thru 3/15)
- *Wednesay class will not meet on April 4th. Make-up class will be held on April 18th in Diana Center room 504.
- HTML/CSS Section B Class Office Hours will be held on Wednesday, April 4th from 6:30pm-8:30pm in Diana 203.
- *Thursday class will not meet on April 5th. Make-up class will be held on April 19th in Diana Center room LL104.
We encourage students interested in learning more and staying in touch to sign up to join the mailing list here:
The latest in a long tradition of Barnard startups.
Inspired by student-run businesses, Barnard Bartending Agency & Barnard Babysitting, Barnard students will be trained to develop websites, in order to provide these services, for hire, to the community.
- Once successfully through Phase I of our custom web design & development training (8-10 weeks), students will have the opportunity to apply to the Athena Digital Design Agency, which connects local businesses and organizations with students to help build or maintain their web sites.
- Athena Digital Design will be a student-run business, advised and funded through Entrepreneurs@Athena, a project of the Athena Center for Leadership Studies.
- NO CODING EXPERIENCE or computer science background will be required for participation and applications will be open to ALL Barnard students.
Interested in hiring Barnard students to develop, design or maintain your web presence? Learn more at: www.AthenaDigitalDesign.com
Press Coverage for Athena Digital Design (formerly Barnard Codes):
Barnard College Press Release, June 2014
Press for our Partner, SkillCrush: